Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Deteriorating Condition in Pet Shops.

Today, I paid a visit to Pet Safari in Ikano. I can call myself a regular there as
most of the staff in the reptile division know me. The conditions were never pristine
exactly since the beginning of time, but it was functional and I understand that there
wasn't time to clean a cage every time it's inhabitant went No:2. 

But I went today,and the first sight that greeted me was a dead Oriental Whipsnake =.=
I was like, that sucks.. and I just kind of walked in as I wanted to take a look at the other 
reptiles. But the sight just keeps getting worse and worse. The flying gecko enclosure was overcrowded and filthy, the Y-Line gecko is still there and probably will until it dies. Almost all the snake cages were infested with mites, a particular Mexican Black Kingsnake that has MBD 
(Metabolic Bone Disease) is still there, despite my previous attempts at getting the owner of the
place to give it medical attention, then sell it. 

I saw carpet python hatchlings huddling in a corner for warmth as there wasn't any heat lamp over them. (The place has air-conditioning, therefore the need for heat lamps) Water was unchanged, and there was algae growing in their water bowls, who knows what kind of bacteria and microorganisms could be growing in there. All the snakes look unfed and unhealthy. 
Except for one which I suspect is a new entry, the Nelson's Milksnake. 

I don't know what the operators of the place are thinking. Don't they care about the fact that
they are selling unhealthy specimens to possible newbies at keeping herps? I indirectly asked questions that I knew the answers to, so that I could see if the staff are actually knowledgeable.
This was the answer I got. =.=

Me: Bang, ini Coastal Carpet Python import dari mana?
The dude : Back from Africa! *with a smile* =.=
Me: Oh....

At that moment, I was already in WTF mode. Coastal Carpet Pythons are native to Australia! And what I am even more curious about is the fact that how three Coastal Carpet Pythons managed to be way over here when Australia bans the export and import of wildlife. Illegal?

If you're going to sell herps, please give them a condition that is sanitary at the least. Hire experienced people at handling herps, not some random foreign worker that has experience at killing snakes in his own backyard in Indonesia or where ever. Keeping reptiles can be very easy. I don't even know why they use loose substrate in pet shops, just go for tiles or plastic layers =.=
Much cleaner and not to mention, easier to disinfect and clean!

And for possible newbie herp keepers, please.. if you see a pet shop that has these unsanitary conditions, please don't buy herps from them. It will be a bad experience for both you and the reptile in question. Don't think that you are doing the reptile a favour by purchasing them as you are only benefiting the operator's pocket, which will then bring in even more herps for the same suffering. Buy from reputable breeders and trust me, many can be found in Malaysia. After-sales service is also usually better from these breeders, as they can provide first-hand knowledge and experience from KEEPING snakes. Not SELLING them. 

Call this a rant or whatever you wish, I'm just pissed. 



5 comments:

pey.tsyr said...

Lol. I oso visit the pet shop everytime i go to ikano. But the dog section seems okay to me. Hahax.

unfazed said...

dog section different manager la lol

pey.tsyr said...

lol. really? I didn't know that. btw, where are those reptile located? I wan to see see =)

unfazed said...

you walk to the place where they sell the small fish pond 1.. then continue walk up and u will see the reptile area

pey.tsyr said...

lol okayy. Lets see hw bad the situation is..