Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Japanese Confectionery and Good Food

I for one, am a lover of all food Japanese. 
Be it fish, beef (my favourite), prawns, vege or even just snacks..
They all have a certain quality about them.

No, I'm not talking about those "Teppanyaki" shops in malls where 
Indonesian or Myanmar employees are supposedly serving you
"Japanese" food.

I'm talking about the good stuff. For those who have had a chance eating out
at Japanese specialty restaurants, you'll get what I mean haha..

I mean, every single edible thing they make has effort that they put it in, 
you can literally taste the effort and the taste just becomes superb, even though you're
just eating authentic Japanese prawn crackers.

Compared to the crap prawn crackers we have here in Malaysia, with the "Buatan Malaysia" sign on the packaging, those prawn crackers in Japan taste like a little bit of heaven. We should 
be ashamed to put the word "Buatan Malaysia" on something that is so horrendously devoid 
of quality.

And this issue is not usually just related to the edible part of the product. On the left, you have a packet of your everyday packet of "Keropok Udang" and on the right, you have a plastic design of a Japanese product that looks better than the Malaysian flag! Sorry, I'll take the Japanese one please. 

And also, the dishes they serve on the Japanese menu. Those dishes come with mini side-dishes that actually serve different purposes other than the sake of stuffing your face. When you order meals with rice and a certain food, let's say chicken. Chicken Katsu-don it is. But on the side, you have these little coloured slices of preserved radishes or carrots. What are they for? They're for you to take in between your meal to prevent the flavour of the chicken to overwhelm your tastebuds and make you lose your appetite. And also, why is there a cup of steamed egg next to your rice? Because the taste of chicken goes with eggs! And also, why do they have this powder that they let you pour over your rice.. The possibilities are endless.

The entire dish is so bloody colourful lol. Maybe it's because I'm a guy and I'm stimulated by all the pretty colours but I honestly think that Japanese food is an art, thanks to the people who toiled day and night to find the perfect chilli-powder and cut-up radish pieces ratio to act as a appetizer.

For anyone who wishes to experience fine Japanese dining, I suggest you visit restaurants like Rakuzen and Kura. Google them and you'll find the places. Don't be lazy now. 

And when you do visit, don't be a wuss and order just your ordinary tempura rice set. ( Though there's nothing wrong with tempura. ) Learn to explore and you'll be surprised to find out that you like a lot of different things.

I suggest for anyone visiting Rakuzen to try this dish, the Gyuniku Tataki, it's slices of raw beef just slightly singed at the sides, with fried garlic, spicy chopped radish and spring onion as the sides. You won't be disappointed. And if you have deeper pockets, I suggest trying the Wagyu Tataki. It comes at around RM65 for the smallest serving if I remember correctly. I am telling you, this beef MELTS in your mouth. You wouldn't even want to drink tea after it cause the aftertaste is just as good. 

So try, and rewarded you shall be. ^^ 

4 comments:

AL S said...

I actually really enjoy sushi zenmai. it's so pricey though.

unfazed said...

I have been to sushi zenmai =P I really like their raw sweet prawns. Those tasted really good. But I guess beef dishes still XD me.

AL S said...

XD you? what the hell does that suppose to mean la JUSTIN! hahaha.

unfazed said...

Lol XD is XD. Doesnt mean anything else but XD. Kind of cryptic huh.. =P